It has been and continues to be my pleasure to serve the state’s tennis coaches as the President of the IHSTeCA. For nearly 20 years, I have been surrounded by a top-notch staff of officers, and we enjoy working together on conventions, rules proposals, district meetings, and other association business. Literally everything that the association accomplishes is a group effort. We are all volunteers in this venture.
Throughout the decades of its existence, the goal of the IHSTeCA has been to serve the best interests of the coaches and players in boys’ and girls’ tennis throughout Indiana. Through serving on the board and attending conventions, I had the opportunity as a younger coach to learn at the feet of such legendary coaches as Ed Yarbrough of Jasper, Jim Clark of Homestead, Sharon Rosenburgh of Carmel, Mike Saine of Peru, Ivan Smith of Center Grove, and Bill Reed of Laporte, all of whom are in the Indiana HS Tennis Hall of Fame.
Current board members include Matt DeVault of Alexandria, who serves as secretary and webmaster; Mike Saine of Peru, who serves as treasurer; and vice presidents Scott Yarbrough of Jasper, Eric Bowers of Penn, Spencer Fields of Brownsburg, Gabe Muterspaugh of Mt. Vernon, Debby Burton of Center Grove, and Andrea Calvert-Sanders of Park Tudor. In addition, Kyle Stoffel of FW Carroll and Brad Haeck of Plymouth oversee the Top 30 State Rankings; Don Wafer of Muncie Central helps with Academic All-State; Ivan Smith of Center Grove oversees the Hall of Fame; Sharon Rosenburgh of Carmel helps with Rules Proposals and more.
Highlights during the past few years
- Approval and implementation of Eight at State. This took effect in Fall 2009 as eight teams qualified for the IHSAA State Finals in boys’ tennis. Five of the seven matches at state were determined by 3-2 scores, making for an exciting debut to the Eight at State. It brought us more in line with all the other IHSAA sanctioned sports.
- Creation of Senior All-Star Boys Matches (supplements Senior All-Star Girls Matches that are organized by Indiana Coaches of Girls Sports Association). This event is held at the Community Sports and Wellness indoor tennis center at Pendleton. Organized by Scott Yarbrough, the event attracts 36 top seniors and has been highly successful so far.
- Approval of 22-match cap (greater flexibility for coaches to build schedule of duals/tournaments). This rule was passed in 2009 and now permits each school to build a schedule that fits its needs. Schools can play 22 matches as long as they stay within a maximum of 16 duals and a maximum of five tournaments. This provides much more freedom for scheduling and has been a big help for all schools.
- Approval of coaching between points. This rule was passed in 20091 and now permits coaches to coach between points of a match as long as the flow of the match is not interrupted and the time limits between points are not violated.
- Expanded website. Our website at www.indianatennis.com has increasingly become our primary communication tool. You can expect to find news, announcements, forms, match results, rankings, all-district and all-state results, match hotline, coaches career records, Hall of Fame info, and much more on our frequently updated website.
- Great convention relationship with Indianapolis Racquet Club. We have enjoyed excellent conventions at the Indianapolis Racquet Club since 2006 and look forward to a continued relationship in the future. The IRC Team Sports serves as our primary sponsor throughout the year. IRC Team Sports serves more than 2,000 schools throughout the nation (including every state) and can handle any needs you have for your team.
- Series of highly successful conventions. Our conventions in recent years have drawn large crowds and have received excellent evaluations. Speakers such as Rajeev Ram, Tom Gullikson, Rick Macci, Chuck Kriese, Wayne Bryan, Jorge Capestany, Troy Hahn, MaliVai Washington, Pat Etcheberry, Kent Kinnear, Luke Jensen, John Embree, Greg Patton, Lin Loring, Bobby Bayliss, Rodney Harmon, Bob Love, Guy Parks, Ken DeHart, Mike O’Connell, Bryan Smith, P.A. Nilhagen and many others have shared great ideas with our coaches.
- Online registration system for conference and memberships. We have tried to make it simple for coaches to register for conventions. The online system also makes it easy for us to send mass emails to everyone for updates.
Communication is the key!
We need to continue to work together. Officer and Top 30 rater emails and phone numbers are online at www.indianatennis.com. Be sure to let us know how we can help you!
Keep the ball out of the net!
(Delta High School)